Reminder – we’re asking everyone to wear red tomorrow, (preferably your SWRTA shirt) even if you’re not joining us on the picket line. NYSUT has declared May 1st a National Day of Action. It is also International Workers Day, as well as Loyalty Day in the United States. And of course, it’s ALWAYS a good day to show support for public education.
More Information About Picketing
SWRTA will be supporting Clare Rose workers between 2:30 and 5:30 tomorrow (May 1st). Erin Schmalzle, SWRTA Grievance VP, will be the point person until around 4:30. I hope to be there from around 3:30 to to the end.
We currently have just shy of 20 people who’ve responded positively. Since a good number of them are only able to stay for a short while, we’d love to get at least another 5-10 folks to make sure we have a continuous, solid presence. If you haven’t already done so, please reply to say you’ll join us (or just show up).
Picketing is on the West side of William Floyd Parkway, immediately South of the Expressway. Turn right onto Rose Executive Blvd. You can park along that road or in the Police Station lot (that link was incorrect in yesterday’s email. It’s now fixed.)
BRING THE KIDS!
A few people asked if it’s okay to bring kids. Not only is it okay, it’s very much encouraged. It’s good bonding time, it’s a great learning opportunity, and having kids there is a reminder that, ultimately, all of our union work has a tremendous impact on the next generation.
A lot of people also asked about making signs. You definitely don’t need to, but it’s a good idea. Here are some ideas:
- Union Busting Is Disgusting
- SWRTA Supports Teamsters Local 812
- Clare Rose Hurts Working Families
- Tell Clare Rose To Not Cut Workers Pay and Benefits
- Teachers Standing With Teamsters
- SWRTA Stands with Teamsters Local 812
- End the War on Workers
Again, for the duration of the strike, please don’t purchase any beer distributed by Clare Rose.
LATEST STRIKE NEWS
- Clare Rose is bringing in scabs from out of state (Newsday)
- A letter sent to striking workers leaves no doubt that Clare Rose is trying to bust the union (Daily News)
- As Clare Rose brings in workers from other states, Labor Closes Ranks Behind Striking Clare Rose Workers (Teamsters.NYC)